Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Cyborg Manifesto

Yes, interpreting Donna Haraway's manifesto was a challenge even for the graduate student in the class. Even after reading it multiple times! So I wanted to share with you all a helpful resource that I used in dissecting "A Cyborg Manifesto." It's a website that was put together by an instructor trying to help her students understand Haraway's famous work. I've never used a Cliff note or Spark note or anything of the sort so I have nothing to compare it to, but I found her interpretations helpful as I reread. 

As for tomorrow, take another look at the chart comparing "comfortable old hierarchical dominations to the scary new networks I have called the informatics of domination" on pages 161 & 162. It's been over 20 years since Haraway revised her manifesto and we'll be discussing this chart tomorrow. I have some powerful objections to some of the dichotomies on the chart and am wondering if any of you do as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment